Phone: (989) 644-8161
Fax: (989) 644-5688
Michigan DEQ site ID MIK643316656
BODYWORK'Z SUPPLY COMPANY
Guidance on Handling “Bare” Cathode Ray Tubes
WE CURRENTLY ACCEPT WHOLE CRT MONITORS AND TV'S ,THERE IS A DISPOSAL FEE OF $0.35 PER POUND.
(television or computer glass monitors that have been removed from original casing)
Due to the health and safety danger presented by glass monitors that are no longer in
their original casing (such as a television or computer) they MUST BE BOXED BEFORE ACCEPTANCE..
The health and safety dangers are:
1. By touching the bare glass it is possible to receive a serious shock. The tube
carries a latent charge of up to 25,000 volts for up to a year.
2. Parts of the glass are very sharp and can cut skin.
3. If mishandled or broken the glass tube can implode. The tube is under vacuum
pressure; while difficult to break, broken glass is dangerous and safety glasses
designed for exposure to exploding particles should be worn when handling bare
4. Like all appliances the cathode ray tube is heavy. Improper lifting can result in
serious back or foot injuries, or even implosion.
Consumer Handling Guidance
DO NOT REMOVE THE TUBE FROM THE HOUSING!! But, if you already have,
1. Try to avoid handling of the cathode ray tube. Contact local television repair shops
and try to locate one that will remove the tube from your vehicle and dispose of it for
you. You should expect that there may be a fee charged.
2. If you are unsuccessful in finding assistance from a television repair shop, be
extremely careful removing the cathode ray tube from your vehicle.
! Be sure to be wearing heavy gloves to avoid getting cut.
! Have a sturdy, intact cardboard box ready that will entirely contain the cathode ray
! ONLY handle the cathode ray tube by the face (the part you would look at when
using a computer or watching TV).
! DO NOT lift, push, or support by the neck or the sides.
! Avoid touching the glass other than the face with any part of your body.
! Carefully place the cathode ray tube in the box and close the box.
Once the cathode ray tube is in the box it can be safely moved.
AFTER THE CRT TUBE IS IN A CARDBOARD BOX WE WILL ACCEPT THEM.
THERE IS A $0.35 PER POUND DISPOSAL FEE.